Wednesday, November 9, 2011

La Belle Suisse

" The View" from my room


Looking down from the town of Gruyeres - cheese heaven


Lausanne
Before embarking on the ferry to Evian, France - of mineral water fame


Ferry crossing Lac Leman (Lake Geneva)


On the ferry crossing over to France - no passport required!


Ferry Flying French Flag Forward
(Sorry - couldn't resist)


View from a cafe overlooking the lake near Prealpina


View from the same cafe - no photoshop just the vivid setting on my camera


Chateau Surpierre where the Burki sisters lived.
Gabi Burki still lives there with her son, Philippe. Burki cheese was the family's living....
(more cheese!) ....now the towers need re-roofing...Mon Dieu


Looking down from the chateau..another view from the endless supply that make up Switzerland


An old family retainer - Gabi's great grandfather was responsible for this


The dining room - lovely fireplace - one could roast a pig if one was so inclined...


Castle gate gargoyle


I recently returned to Switzerland for a school reunion. This was not a place where I had the happiest of memories being separated from my parents at a young age and away from my sunny childhood days spent in the intensity of life in Calcutta. Expat Brits sent their children away to school when they were ten and so, in his infinite wisdom (NOT) my father decided to do the same and hey - I'd learn French!

With some trepidation I returned to Prealpina which has now reverted to being a hotel and the cloud hanging over those years disappeared. When I walked in I felt....... NOTHING. That chapter has been put to rest and I was emotionally free to admire the truly beautiful view I had gazed upon for six years with resentful eyes. It seems that it is true - face your demons and they will vanish.

As a side note - everyone who saw it was incredibly envious of our view. If we complained about the school - the comeback was invariably: "But the view!" This became a running joke and we decided to name our reunion: "But THE VIEW!"